Tiger Gates

Tiger Gates

25.25" x 22.5" Watercolor, Ink, Gouache, Acrylic and Graphite - April 2021 to Oct 2022
  • Quadrants = seasons or earth elements.
  • Socially we are working on recognizing how important diversity is, appreciating that differences are a healthy part of a cultural ecosystem. Biodiversity is the same - it is overlooked and crucial to the health of the immediate and greater environment. The little quadrants here feel like little ecosystems, knotted together, made with threatened species.
  • The Chocolate Lily (my family nickname is Lily) this flower is endangered and local. I go out to an area in Mission Trails, in March each year to see them blooming and photograph them.
  • Mandala with blue center (Hyacinth macaws) in a life/death battle, spiraling. Waters or sky. Surrounded by gold. Four pathways lead out. Light, fire, water and air. The guardian of this garden is the Malayan tiger (CR) at the top, and the boundary is made up by two entwined albino Burmese pythons (VU). (my photos from the San Diego zoo).
  • At the bottom are two corpse flowers opening downward. These are human sized blooms! Over 5 feet high. I went to the Huntington Gardens (before the lockdowns) and photographed the corpse flower blooming there in the green house. This is THE sexiest plant.