Separation of Earth and Sky (Blake)

Separation of Earth and Sky (Blake)

22" x 20" Watercolor, Ink, Gouache, Acrylic and Graphite - May 1, 2022 to September 12, 2022
  • Primordial - happening first in sequence of time. Source.
  • The rainbow references a William Blake study across the top. He had angels... I used Iberian Imperial Eagles (CR). Overall the piece was made with Blake in mind - the burst of light and the graying down of the background to push the light forward.
  • There is a serpentine twisted form that I have used repeatedly, because I can’t quite satisfy my need to draw it. I saw a version of this outline in a book on Persian art in a library. It was two lion heads on a long body that twisted together in the middle. But I envisioned a long row of heads, each eating or holding the animal in front of it... I will continue to use it until I get it right.
  • In a way, this piece is a Peredexion tree also. With the tree above, twisting trunk, tree of life and knowledge, birds safe in the branches. The Grotto below, dark hole into the abyss, the underworld and the serpents at the base of the tree. I hadn’t realized this until now, making these notes and looking at the shape of the image.
  • The Atlas Moth, Attacus wardi Rothschild (VU) from Australia figures prominently in a lot of these pieces. It is huge! Wings span far beyond your palm if you are holding one. The color and pattern - I am enthralled. The wing tips curve outward and have a pattern that looks like a cobra in profile.